The Immunisation Coalition Art Prize aims to create awareness of the importance of immunisation, engage students in creative expression, and highlight and promote contemporary artists.
We invite artists of all ages to help us communicate the need for accurate information on vaccination issues.
Who Can Enter
This competition is open to amateur and professional artists of all ages, beginner or expert. No special qualifications are required for your participation.
- Only open to residents of Australia & Australian citizens (including those living overseas).
- You can enter as an individual, group, or class.
- One entry per artist or group of artists.
Create 2D or 3D artwork in response to one of the following two themes:
- Infectious diseases and our world
- Vaccination fact-based concepts
Your piece may take any visual form of creative expression, including fine art, sculpture, digital art, photography, or short film.
- Must be original
- Must be presented by living artist/s
- Must have been created on or after 1st January 2022
Immunisation Coalition reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to reject work that is not found suitable for publication or that does not meet our criteria. Art that depicts graphic racial or sexual violence is not acceptable.
Requirements for Submissions
The Immunisation Coalition Art Prize is an online competition. All artworks must be presented as a digital file.
- Provide us with a description of your artwork /artist statement of up to 250 words.
- Short Film entries must not exceed 60 seconds in length.
- Provide a link to your submission (eg YouTube or Vimeo).
- We advise images with 1000 Pixels on the longest side and at a resolution of 72dpi.
- The acceptable file formats are jpg, jpeg, png, or pdf.
- Files may not exceed 5MB.
- Images should be front on with the artwork filling the full image (ie no frames, no white space)
Categories A, B, C are for those who created their submission while enrolled
as students in a recognised institute (school, college, TAFE, University).
Category D is open to everyone.
You may only submit your work in one category.
Prizes & Selection Criteria
Publication and promotion of artists on IC media platforms.
Your artwork may be featured in the following ways:
- In the winners exhibition video or slideshow, or during live exhibitions
- Artist spotlight on our website and in social media campaigns
- Grouped press releases to large media audiences
- Feature in Immunisation Coalition’s media and health promotion materials
- Category A Primary Student: $500
- Category B Secondary Student: $500
- Category C Tertiary Student: $1500
- Category D Open (Non-student): $2000
Plus 10 Merit Prizes will be awarded.
Up to 10 finalists in each category are nominated by our curators. Shortlisted artists are submitted to the selection panel for final judging. The selection panel will name 4 winners (1 per category) along with additional merit prize winners.
The judges’ decision will be final and irrevocable.
Prize Selection Criteria
- Is the content of the video or art piece interesting?
- Does your piece invite thought, discussion or action?
Accuracy of Science
- In the content of your response to the theme/s
- Have you considered communication to a diverse range of communities?
- What style choices have you made?
- Have you used visual and audio effects? eg animations, music, different angles
- Is the message clear and easily understood?
- Can audio be heard clearly?
The selection panel will be co-spearheaded by Nobel Prize winning immunologist, Peter Doherty. The selection panel will have representation of professionals from both the art and medical research industries.
To avoid any lobbying or intervention, the composition of the selection panel will be published after the notifications to the winners. After the judging, the winners will be announced. The winners of cash prizes will be notified by email and payment will proceed within 30 days after notification. The payment will be made through bank transfer.
Dates & Deadlines
Beginning of submissions: 1 November 2022
Submission deadline: 17 March 2023
Notification of winning artworks: 21 April 2023
Online exhibition of winning artworks: from 24 April 2023 (Immunisation Action Week)
Download the Education Package for Years 5-8 here.
This learning resource can be used to support teachers in developing student artworks for the Immunisation Coalition Art Prize or as a stand-alone integrated STE(A)M learning resource to bring factual awareness of issues around immunisation, vaccination and the burden of infectious disease.
For enquiries about the Art Prize, please email email@example.com
Terms & Conditions
Click here for a PDF copy of the Art Prize Guidelines and Terms & Conditions.